Pc Lap Counter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pc Lap Counter

Logiciel de comptage

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Schema to connect detector to Phidget 0/16/16

Go down 
+3
Gaspacho79
guy
Foiler
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Foiler

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-02-16

Schema to connect detector to Phidget 0/16/16 Empty
PostSubject: Schema to connect detector to Phidget 0/16/16   Schema to connect detector to Phidget 0/16/16 Empty19/7/2007, 05:17

Phidget Tips for PC Lap Counter
By Dale DeWeese

If you have purchased or are considering purchasing a Phidget 0/16/16 interface card for use with PC Lap Counter (PCL) and your non-digital plastic or routed wood track, you might find the following information helpful.

Why consider a Phidget card for lap counting:
My reason was to eliminate missed laps with my 4-lane, routed, analog track. I had been using my PC's parallel port for lap time detection and pit stops. This worked great with lap-timing programs in the DOS environment. However, as soon as I switched to the Windows XP operating system, I experienced occasional missed laps using the parallel port. The parallel port does not get the same priority within Windows XP as it does in DOS. In contrast, the Phidget card uses the much faster USB port, and it buffers the incoming signals. I have not yet experienced a missed lap with PCL since installing my Phidget 0/16/16 board. Plus, I still have 12 more input channels and 16 output channels to work with beyond the lap-counting duties.

Where to purchase a Phidget 0/16/16 interface card:
Phidget cards are offered by several vendors on the web. However, if you are able to, I strongly recommend that you purchase your Phidget card from Mainline Hobbies (www.mainlinehobbies.com). This is where I purchased mine. The prices are competitive, and their service has been excellent. Besides, the guys at Mainline Hobbies are actually using the Phidget card and PCL for their own 6-lane store track, so they understand Phidgets and lap timing.

What software is required for the Phidget interface card:
I am using my Phidget card with Windows XP Pro (SP2) and PCL. The PCL website states that Windows 2000 & Vista also work with the Phidget cards and PCL, but Windows 98 does not. My Windows XP installation required the latest .Microsoft NET Framework v2.0 upgrades and Phidget software libraries, named "Phidgets 21 MSI”, before PCL recognized my Phidget card. The Phidgets 21 MSI software is available in the “Downloads” section at www.phidgets.com. The current version as of this writing is v2.1.2 dated June 25, 2007.

Wiring the Phidget 0/16/16 interface card for lap counting with PCL:
First, the basics. A PC’s USB port is the means by which a Phidget board communicates with the PCL software, and it powers the Phidget’s circuitry. The Phidget 0/16/16 board requires an external 4 to 30 Volt D.C. power supply to change the logical states of the 16 available input and output channels. (I chose a discarded PC power supply, capable of either 5 Volts or 12 Volts for my Phidget board’s external power supply.) When the Phidget’s input/output channel receives the minimum 4 Volts (referenced to Ground), the logical state for the corresponding channel is “1”. When the input/output channel receives less than 4 Volts, the logical state is “0”.

Two rather simple wiring circuits, Diagram 1 & Diagram 2 are shown at these links:

Diagram 1
Schema to connect detector to Phidget 0/16/16 Diagram1

Diagram 2
Schema to connect detector to Phidget 0/16/16 Diagram2

Each circuit requires the Phidget 0/16/16 card and a set of Phototransistors (also called photo detectors) – one for each lane. For reference, (4) Infrared photo detectors beneath my track are illuminated with (4) Infrared Emitters above the track in a “light bridge”. The detectors and emitters can be purchased in sets at Radio Shack as part #276-142. Whether you use a light bridge or not, the principle is the same; the photo detector acts as a switch to close a circuit between the Phidget card and the external power supply when it receives light. The detector opens the circuit between the Phidget card and the external power supply when it is blocked of light from a passing car.

Diagram 1 is the simpler of two circuits shown to achieve lap-counting with a Phidget 0/16/16 and PCL. This circuit defaults to a Logical “1” state at each of the Phidget’s lane inputs when the detectors are unblocked. This Logical “1” state changes to a Logical “0” state at the corresponding Phidget lane input when a passing car blocks the light to the detector. PC Lap Counter recognizes this change in logical states and registers it as a lap count. The major shortcoming of this circuit design is that the PC Lap Counter’s fuel management/pit-stop features will NOT work with this circuit design. PC Lap Counter currently detects a pit-stop when a Logical “0” state changes to a Logical “1” state. The circuit in Diagram 1 works the opposite of what PC Lap Counter needs with regards to pit-stops.

The Diagram 2 circuit will let you enjoy all of the lap counting and fuel management/pit-stop features that PC Lap Counter offers. This circuit uses a “pull-up” resistor for each of the Phidget 0/16/16 lane input channels. This circuit defaults to a Logical “0” state at each of the Phidget’s lane inputs when the detectors are unblocked. This Logical “0” state changes to a Logical “1” state at the corresponding Phidget lane input when a passing car blocks the light to the detector. PC Lap Counter recognizes this change in logical states and registers it as a lap count. The program will also properly register a car stopped over a detector as a “pit-in”, if the fuel management/pit-stop features are enabled within the program.
This circuit requires that a 4.7 K Ohm resistor be wired between the positive lead of the 5 Volt power supply and each of the detectors’ collector (C) pins. A separate wire is required between each of the detectors’ emitter (E) pins and the ground. If you use a power supply greater than 5 Volts D.C., you will need to possibly experiment with a different value of resistor. The goal is to achieve a Voltage less than 4 Volts, measured between a lane input channel and ground, when the detector is illuminated (unblocked). This same reading should jump to greater than 4 Volts when the detector is blocked. Remember, 4 Volts happens to be the Logical “0” to Logical “1” trigger point for the Phidget 0/16/16 card.

A Phidget 0/16/16 card may appear a bit intimidating at first. But, as you can see, it is rather simple to wire for lap-counting with PCL. It has proven to be very reliable, and thanks to PC Lap Counter’s built-in interface, its capabilities go well beyond just counting laps. Cool
Back to top Go down
guy

guy

Number of posts : 2294
Registration date : 2006-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Schema to connect detector to Phidget 0/16/16   Schema to connect detector to Phidget 0/16/16 Empty19/7/2007, 19:16

Thanks Dale , this kind of post make me happy Very Happy

I make your topic as a "post it" and put diagram pictures on my website server (so pictures will be always available).

Guy
Back to top Go down
http://www.pclapcounter.be
Gaspacho79

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2007-11-12

PostSubject: Re: Schema to connect detector to Phidget 0/16/16   Schema to connect detector to Phidget 0/16/16 Empty31/1/2008, 21:47

Hi, this post really helped me.. Thanks very much!

I have just one question, in diagram 2, I've no idea what type of pull up resistor to use.. My knowledge in electronics is very basic, I've been studying now for just 3 months...

Thank you very much in advance =)
Back to top Go down
slotmanege

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2007-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Schema to connect detector to Phidget 0/16/16   Schema to connect detector to Phidget 0/16/16 Empty1/2/2008, 11:29

Hi Gaspacho79,

It is stated in the diagram: resistor = 4,7 kOhms (4700 Ohms), 1/4 watt.
That's all...
Back to top Go down
http://www.slotmanege.nl
Gaspacho79

PostSubject: Re: Schema to connect detector to Phidget 0/16/16   Schema to connect detector to Phidget 0/16/16 Empty1/2/2008, 18:15

I'm really sorry, it's just that I am from Argentina, and I translated pull up resistor to pull up transistor, which is way different

Thank you very much!
Back to top Go down
Gaspacho79

PostSubject: Re: Schema to connect detector to Phidget 0/16/16   Schema to connect detector to Phidget 0/16/16 Empty10/7/2008, 04:55

Just a question, as the cars pass too fast, perhaps there will be missing lapcounts? Due to the phidget's refresh rate?

If that's so, I will have to use a 555 as a monostable to get the pulse larger?

Thanks for the answer
Back to top Go down
slot32

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2007-04-13

PostSubject: diagram for start lights and power relays   Schema to connect detector to Phidget 0/16/16 Empty4/11/2008, 03:08

Is there a wiring diagram for start lights and relays up to 8 lanes

controlled with a phidget unit?
Back to top Go down
slot32

PostSubject: diagram for lights and 8 lane relay-phidget 1 or 2 needed?   Schema to connect detector to Phidget 0/16/16 Empty4/11/2008, 13:02

can anyone supply a wiring diagram for phidget to control lights and relays?
Back to top Go down
slot32

PostSubject: ds bridge plus rsistor used as sensor with phidget?   Schema to connect detector to Phidget 0/16/16 Empty15/11/2008, 15:00

could i use a ds bridge onb its own. using a 6 volt supply. if so what value resistor should I use on the detectors? Has anyone a wiring diagram?
Back to top Go down
guy

guy

Number of posts : 2294
Registration date : 2006-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Schema to connect detector to Phidget 0/16/16   Schema to connect detector to Phidget 0/16/16 Empty15/11/2008, 19:46

It's possible to use DS Bridge with Phidget interface , Mainlinehobbies propose a DS Bridge + Phidget Interface + PcLapCounter , look here: http://www.mainlinehobbies.com/index.php?p=product&id=1682&parent=101
Unfortunately i didn't found any wiring diagram.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pclapcounter.be
slot32

PostSubject: Re: Schema to connect detector to Phidget 0/16/16   Schema to connect detector to Phidget 0/16/16 Empty22/11/2008, 02:57

guy wrote:
Thanks Dale , this kind of post make me happy Very Happy

I make your topic as a "post it" and put diagram pictures on my website server (so pictures will be always available).

Guy

I am now selling the phidget i/o device and ds bridges prices from £200 . you get power unit, bridges with sensors, cables and the phidget usb device.
nic at www.slot32.co.uk
Back to top Go down
remignac

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2009-01-02

PostSubject: detection   Schema to connect detector to Phidget 0/16/16 Empty7/1/2009, 00:03

Hello
i'm testing a phidget with photoresistors :
https://www.conrad.fr/phototransistors_p_18925_19102_215929_215932#searchItem (the SFH 309)
and
https://www.conrad.fr/diode_d_emission_ir_sfh_409_diam_3_mm_p_18925_19102_126118_308839#searchItem

I have -5V DC to the ground
Input 0 : the SFH309, connected to +5V DC
and nothing happens (no input detection)
I am a newbee in electronics, and request some help ...
Rémignac
Back to top Go down
newimaging

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2012-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Schema to connect detector to Phidget 0/16/16   Schema to connect detector to Phidget 0/16/16 Empty17/5/2012, 06:41

Is there a wiring diagram for using a dead strip and the Phidget board ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Schema to connect detector to Phidget 0/16/16   Schema to connect detector to Phidget 0/16/16 Empty

Back to top Go down

Schema to connect detector to Phidget 0/16/16
Page 1 of 1