Pc Lap Counter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pc Lap Counter

Logiciel de comptage

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Can I use a 1-20volts 5amp power source for the track

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ecominguez

ecominguez

Number of posts : 224
Registration date : 2006-09-26

Can I use a 1-20volts 5amp power source for the track Empty
PostSubject: Can I use a 1-20volts 5amp power source for the track   Can I use a 1-20volts 5amp power source for the track Empty13/6/2010, 09:07

I want to replace my two standard power sources with only one good regulated power source. This will let me to choose the output volts (I want to decrease it when inexperience pilots arrives at home).

The question is:

Could this new power source damage the phidgets interface kit?.
I use phidgets interface to control everything (lanes power, starting lights, sensors bridge,etc.)

I ask it because the power to the track pass through the interface to have control over each lane power.
I think that starting lights and bridge use the power source of the interface, but I don't understand anything about electronic.

Thank you
Eduardo.
Back to top Go down
Foiler

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-02-16

PostSubject: Phidget Card and 1 - 20V, 5 AMP Power Supply   Can I use a 1-20volts 5amp power source for the track Empty13/6/2010, 21:48

Ecominguez,

I understand your desire to hook up a regulated power source to your track.
This is a great way to let new drivers get used to your cars and track.

However, I do NOT recommend that you hook up a 1-20V, 5A variable power supply to your Phidget interface.
With regards to outputs, the Phidget 0/16/16 interface is typically rated for 2 Amps Max. A short on your track could damage your Phidget card, if the power were wired directly to the Phidget.

For control of lane power through the Phidget, I recommend you use power relays hooked to the Phidget output channels to handle the track voltage. I recommend a separate Phidget power supply to operate the relays to be safe.

Take a look at the following PC Lap Counter Forum post about this very topic:

https://pclapcounter.forumotion.com/phidgets-interface-kit-f14/phidget-0-16-16-wiring-t554.htm

Foiler in Michigan - USA
Back to top Go down
guy

guy

Number of posts : 2296
Registration date : 2006-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Can I use a 1-20volts 5amp power source for the track   Can I use a 1-20volts 5amp power source for the track Empty13/6/2010, 23:17

Ecominguez buy his timing solution at Main Line Hobbies and i think that the power control is not made with a phidget 0/16/16 but with a Phidget 0/0/4 and so i think it should work but i'am not sure because like Ecominguez my knowledge in electronics is very basic Embarassed
Back to top Go down
http://www.pclapcounter.be
ecominguez

ecominguez

PostSubject: Re: Can I use a 1-20volts 5amp power source for the track   Can I use a 1-20volts 5amp power source for the track Empty14/6/2010, 08:27

Ooops!,
I will take a picture of what I have, and I will ask you if I have what is needed.
as far as I remember, because I put everything in a box, I put the buttons on the top of the box, and is a long time since I open that box, I have inside two cards:
1) The big one has the USB input and a power source (that I put inside the box) I think this power source is for starting lights and the sensor bridge. 2) The small one is the one that is attached to the power sources (I have two, one per line) of the track.

Again... I am not good in electronics, I did what this forum teach me, and what is in the manual of Main Line Hobbies.
This is a kit that is composed by, starting lights, sensor bridge, some buttons, and two phidgets cards.

I think Guy is right, I think that I have what you tell me I should have, but I have to be sure, it was very hard for me to get the phidget kit, I live in Argentina, USA is too far away from here.
Thank you.
Eduardo
Back to top Go down
mainlinehobbies

mainlinehobbies

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2006-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Can I use a 1-20volts 5amp power source for the track   Can I use a 1-20volts 5amp power source for the track Empty15/6/2010, 06:09

yes, all lane power is routed thru the 0/0/4, so any power supply with a safety device (fuse or breaker) is A-ok!

We have our tracks running with 30A 8-14vdc power supplies, with 5A breakers on each lane.

The 0/0/4's I believe can handle up to 20A (@24vdc) per relay.... if your slot car needs 20A there's a problem! So you are more then safe to do the upgrade!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mainlinehobbies.com
ecominguez

ecominguez

PostSubject: Re: Can I use a 1-20volts 5amp power source for the track   Can I use a 1-20volts 5amp power source for the track Empty26/6/2010, 06:33

Perfect!, thank you!.
Eduardo.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can I use a 1-20volts 5amp power source for the track   Can I use a 1-20volts 5amp power source for the track Empty

Back to top Go down

Can I use a 1-20volts 5amp power source for the track
Page 1 of 1