Pc Lap Counter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pc Lap Counter

Logiciel de comptage

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Missed Lap Counts

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Foiler

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-02-16

Missed Lap Counts Empty
PostSubject: Missed Lap Counts   Missed Lap Counts Empty11/4/2007, 15:43

I am experiencing "missed" lap counts with my installation of the PC Lap Counter software. Sad

The missed laps occur on any of my (4) lanes whether just (1) car is running or (4) cars are running.

I am using the v4.39 demo version on a PIII 450 Mhz system w/320 Mb RAM with a "clean" installation of Windows 98 S/E. My parallel port setting in my BIOS is set to "Standard (Normal)". My timing system has been working flawlessly with other timing software I have used (Slot Race Manager, Lap Timer 2000, etc)

No other processes are running in the background of PC Lap Counter - other than the required Parallel port interface utility.

My (4) sensors are Infrared emitters and detectors wired to my parallel port pins 10, 12, 13 & 15. I have tried enabling and disabling the Pulse Width = 1/1000 setting within the "Detection" configuration screen, but this does not solve the problem.

I have also tried disabling all sounds to reduce the computer's CPU workload, but this does not help either. scratch

Does anyone have any suggestions that might eliminate missed laps?

I really like the look and flexibility of PC Lap Counter, but this problem is a serious one.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Foiler
Back to top Go down
Foiler

Missed Lap Counts Empty
PostSubject: Missed Laps No More!   Missed Lap Counts Empty12/4/2007, 19:19

Good News Here Very Happy

The missed laps appear to have been eliminated by changing my parallel port mode in BIOS from Standard Parallel Port (SPP) mode to Enhanced Parallel Port (EPP) mode.

A search on the Internet revealed that EPP mode supports data transfer rates between 500 Kb/s to 2 Mb/s, whereas the SPP mode typically supports data transfer rates of only 150+ KB/s.

I tried Extended Capabilites Mode (ECP), but this setting also missed laps on my computer.

It is my opinion that correctly setting the BIOS mode to EPP or ECP mode should be mentioned within the PC Lap Counter user manual. These modes are much faster than the SPP mode.

Foiler
Back to top Go down
guy

guy

Number of posts : 2294
Registration date : 2006-01-25

Missed Lap Counts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Missed Lap Counts   Missed Lap Counts Empty12/4/2007, 19:26

Thanks for the feedback , i will publish a special note on my website for people using the parallel port cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.pclapcounter.be
guy

guy

Missed Lap Counts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Missed Lap Counts   Missed Lap Counts Empty12/4/2007, 22:05

Hi Again ,

I already had some user having missing lap with detector on parallel port but only when many car cross the S/F line in same time and i think that EPP will not solve that problem, i will try to explain why...first remenber that using interrupt to read the parallel port is no more possible since windows 98 and so the only way to read data is to read permanently each pin state of the parallel port.
Knowing that i think there is link with the pulse duration, the software and the computer performance:
imaging car 1 cross the S/F line and that the pulse duration is 0.04 sec and also that the computer need 0.09 sec to process the information (calculate lap time, update lap count, update classement...) and during the process time of car 1 car 2 cross also the S/F line : car 2 will be treated after car 1 but the process of car 1 take 0.09 sec and so when car 1 process is finished...pin of the car 2 is no more activated because of the pulse duration and process time Exclamation

There is solution to solve that problem :
    - Put the detector on a slow part of your track so the pulse will be longer
    - Use a powerful computer (the lower i have never use is a PIII 800 Mhz)
    - Add some electronic to make the pulse duration more longer

Of course this kind of problem do not exist with detector base on serial port (like RMS, DS racing, SSD and SCX digital) because all sended data will be bufferize by windows.
Phidget interface offer also good detection because Phidget interface kit activate a event when there is a change on a digital IO, for your information Main Line Hobbies offer a complete package: Phidget interface + detector + power control + starting lights + Pc Lap Counter , more information at http://www.mainlinehobbies.com/

cheers
Back to top Go down
Foiler

Missed Lap Counts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Missed Lap Counts   Missed Lap Counts Empty21/4/2007, 19:41

Guy,
Well, you were right when you said that the "EPP" setting may not solve the missed-laps problem. Sad

I just got a chance to test the program and parallel port thoroughly last night with (4) drivers on my routed track. For reference, I am now using an AMD 1 Ghz CPU w/512 Mb RAM and a very clean installation of Windows XP - Pro. The parallel port is set to EPP in the BIOS.

We experienced missed laps when (2) or more cars passed over the timing sensors simultaneously. Missed laps are not acceptable, as they can change the results of a championship.

So, it looks like I will be looking at Phidget boards as my next option.

Can I be reasonably certain that a Phidget board will eliminate the missed-laps problem, before I purchase one?

I am very interested in hearing the results from those of you that have switched from Parallel port detection to Phidget board detection.

Thanks,
Foiler in Michigan
Back to top Go down
guy

guy

Missed Lap Counts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Missed Lap Counts   Missed Lap Counts Empty22/4/2007, 00:10

Sure Main Line Hobbies can tell you if it will solve the problem, Main line Hobbies is a official Phidget / Pc Lap Counter reseller.
Main Line Hobbies is registered in this forum so you can contact him or go to their website: http://www.mainlinehobbies.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=101&pg=1
Back to top Go down
mainlinehobbies

mainlinehobbies

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2006-08-02

Missed Lap Counts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Missed Lap Counts   Missed Lap Counts Empty27/4/2007, 23:56

We have had 0 missed laps in over 6 months of testing using the phigits boards... The track is in use 11am - 8pm 7 days a week!

-Main Line Hobbies
Back to top Go down
http://www.mainlinehobbies.com
Cossie007

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2006-12-04

Missed Lap Counts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Missed Lap Counts   Missed Lap Counts Empty28/12/2007, 19:35

I had the exact same problem on our 6 lane track using the LPT port. I tried basically everything. Even tried several different computers.
As long as you are running under a Windows enviroment, problems with the LPT port will occour from time to time as the port is not a priority in Windows.
I have now rebuilt the total hardware setup using Phidget, and it's working perfect. No more missing laps. Very Happy

So if anyone is considering to buy Phidget... Don't worry.. It will save you alot of trouble..

Tore
Back to top Go down
yngwie_70

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2010-06-22

Missed Lap Counts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Missed Lap Counts   Missed Lap Counts Empty28/8/2010, 08:47

Cossie007 wrote:
I had the exact same problem on our 6 lane track using the LPT port. I tried basically everything. Even tried several different computers.
As long as you are running under a Windows enviroment, problems with the LPT port will occour from time to time as the port is not a priority in Windows.
I have now rebuilt the total hardware setup using Phidget, and it's working perfect. No more missing laps. Very Happy

So if anyone is considering to buy Phidget... Don't worry.. It will save you alot of trouble..

Tore

I have recently bought PCLapcounter and really like the way it operates. But I too have experienced missed lap counts. I have been researching how to fix this as I know windows XP's limitations with dealing with Parallel ports. I have found a drive called porttalk.sys which some how allows greater access to individual applications to the parallel port than windows normally allows. Have been testing now for 3 hours and have not had a missed lap yet! Will not be satsified for a few more hours but initial results are encouraging!

Regards

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Missed Lap Counts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Missed Lap Counts   Missed Lap Counts Empty

Back to top Go down

Missed Lap Counts
Page 1 of 1