Pc Lap Counter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Pc Lap Counter

Logiciel de comptage

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Phidget 0/16/16 wiring

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Denney

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2007-05-27

Phidget 0/16/16 wiring Empty
PostSubject: Phidget 0/16/16 wiring   Phidget 0/16/16 wiring Empty19/4/2009, 17:00

Hey guys. I'm thinking of getting one of these Phidget 0/16/16 interface cards so I don't have to build my parallel port set up again. What I would like to know though is how do I wire up things like starting lights, other lights and track power (and any other features PCLC uses)?

Can I just run a wire from my power source, into a digital output, then run a wire from the digital output to the device (lights/lane power) and then run a wire from my device (lights/lane power) back to the power source? I hope that made sense. Shocked

Basically, I want to know if I need to wire up relays and transistors in order to use the features provided by PCLC because if so, I don't see the point in this over the parallel port (minus the extra outputs and inputs of course). confused

PS. A nice wiring diagram (I can read them) would be nice. I've seen the one for the sensors but I'm after wiring up outputs, not inputs.
Back to top Go down
slotmanege

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2007-11-02

PostSubject: Re: Phidget 0/16/16 wiring   Phidget 0/16/16 wiring Empty20/4/2009, 11:56

Hi Denney,

Quote :
Can I just run a wire from my power source, into a digital output, then run a wire from the digital output to the device (lights/lane power) and then run a wire from my device (lights/lane power) back to the power source? I hope that made sense
No, please don't run wires from your powersource to the digital input. Your understanding of the Phidget is that it reacts as a switch? That's not completely true, because is does more then that!
Do not feed the Phidget with power lines, but with "data"lines. Also be aware of the correct voltages to trigger the Phidget's input.

The Phidget max current on the outputs makes it not possible to connect your devices directly to the Phidget. Best way is to connect some relays or transistors to the outputs of the Phidget (unless you only want to hang LED's on the Phidget's output).
Back to top Go down
http://www.slotmanege.nl
Denney

PostSubject: Re: Phidget 0/16/16 wiring   Phidget 0/16/16 wiring Empty20/4/2009, 13:35

OK, if that's the case, the only advantage I can see over a parallel port is the extra inputs/outputs, correct?

Would this be how I would wire up track power:

Code:
+5v ------------------------------
                                  |
+13.8v ---------    --------------
                |  | Relay
+Track ---------    --------------
-Track -----                      |
            |                    |
-13.8v -----                      --> Phidget Digital Output

-5v --------------------------------> Phidget Ground

Hope that makes sense. I left out controller wiring to keep it simple!

I'm trying to justify spending the $200AUD for the interface when I could possibly use the parallel port again for a fraction of the cost.
Back to top Go down
Foiler

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-02-16

PostSubject: The Phidget Factor   Phidget 0/16/16 wiring Empty20/4/2009, 19:18

Denney,
For me, the decision to buy a Phidget 0/16/16 was based primarily on my desire to get rid of missed lap counts.

My parallel port setup proved too slow in a Windows environment for my 4-lane track and PC Lap Counter. You can imagine the difficulty in trying to run race heats and championships when you cannot rely on the timing system. The Phidget's circuitry allows it to buffer the lap counts, so the problem of missed laps went away with the installation of the Phidget. Realize tha the Phidget input channels are "polled" 1/125 sec or .008 sec, so you will never truly have timing accuracy to .001 sec with the Phidget. However, this has not proved to be a problem at all. Very, very close races have always been scored correctly with my Phidget system.

With regards to hooking up loads to the Output channels of the Phidget 0/16/16, the manual states the following:

"Maximum Continuous current sink is 2 Amps. Load can be Relays, Solenoids, current limited LED's, Bulbs, Motors, etc."
The manual also says to limit input and output voltage to 30 Volts DC.

You can look at the Phidget 0/16/16 manual here, for an example of wiring up a load to an output channel of the Phidget.

http://www.phidgets.com/documentation/Phidgets/1012.pdf

Hope this helps.
Foiler in MI
Back to top Go down
Denney

PostSubject: Re: Phidget 0/16/16 wiring   Phidget 0/16/16 wiring Empty21/4/2009, 07:38

Thanks for the info on missed laps. I personally never had a missed lap on my old track (the start/finish was on a slower part of track though). scratch

I read the manual and that's where I got my diagram from. I'm trying to confirm it because I'd be really annoyed if I hooked it up and then fried a $200 piece of circuitry. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Phidget 0/16/16 wiring   Phidget 0/16/16 wiring Empty

Back to top Go down

Phidget 0/16/16 wiring
Page 1 of 1